You may already know that braces straighten crooked teeth. What you may not realize is that orthodontic therapy achieves more than just a beautiful smile! The following are some anticipated benefits of orthodontic care:
- Improve the smile, therefore improving self confidence
- Better function and comfort of proper bite
- Ability to effectively clean the teeth and better oral health
- Improve the force distribution and wear patterns of the teeth
- Guide facial growth for a more symmetric profile
- Possibly prevent the need for future corrective surgery
- Guide permanent teeth into more favorable positions
- Reduce the need to extract permanent teeth
- Improve speech and swallowing patterns
- Reduce the risk of injury to protruded front teeth
- Possibly eliminate the need to replace missing teeth
- Aid in optimizing other dental treatment
For most people, achieving a healthy, beautiful smile is the reason for receiving orthodontic care. If you're self-conscious about your smile, correcting your concerns with braces will greatly improve the way you look and feel.
When your treatment is complete, you will have the smile you've always dreamed of and the confidence to show it off! We also want you to feel comfortable and confident throughout your entire orthodontic experience, and our practice is dedicated to making sure that you receive the quality care you deserve.
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
Orthodontic appliances are made of metal, ceramic, or plastic. They may be removable or they may be brackets bonded to the teeth. By placing a constant, gentle force in a carefully controlled direction, braces slowly move teeth to the proper position.
Gone are the days when a metal band with a bracket was placed around each tooth. You can now choose clear or metal brackets and, in some cases, the color of your appliance. Wires are far less noticeable, and the latest materials are designed to move teeth faster with more comfort. Today, any age is a great age to wear braces!
Duration of Treatment
Treatment time varies and can last between one and three years, depending on several factors including age, treatment method, and how minor or severe your case is. A big factor in a successful treatment is you! The more involved and diligent you are, the more efficient your treatment will be. For children, receiving interceptive or early treatment can also help provide a quicker treatment time.
Before beginning your orthodontic care, your doctor will discuss all of your options and provide an estimate for how long your full treatment may take. Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment and learn more about orthodontics and the treatments we provide. We will work with you every step of the way to make sure that your orthodontic care is as rewarding as possible.